Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Right Hand and the Left Hand

I just finished a discussion board assignment, in which I had to use the Bible, our textbook and one other source to answer these three questions.

1.What is the significance of Jesus’ resurrection for Christians?
2.What are your thoughts on who Theophilus was? Was he a real person?
3.What does it mean that Jesus is “sitting at God’s ‘right hand’?”

I won't bore you with the actual document, because frankly, I haven't felt very good today and it isn't my best work, but I did want to share a thought with you regarding the third question. It is something that I heard a few years ago, and thought maybe not everyone is aware of it. It isn't inspired, but just knowledge of an etymological venue.

Jesus sits at the right hand of God. (I am not using my Hebrew terms tonight - YHWH, Yeshua, because I have been writing for an evangelical school, which does not understand the terms, and am in that mode, but definitely prefer to call the Godhead by their real names.) The right hand symbolizes righteousness, power, and authority, but why does God specifically call Jesus to His right side rather than His left side?

The word for right in Hebrew is yashar and actually means pleasing, esteemed or to make straight. But did you know that the word left in Latin is sinestra and means sinister. That is why it is always seen as inappropriate to shake hand using the left hand and why parents often make children, who start life using the left hand change and use the right hand. Satanists have been said to take the left hand path and eastern religions such as Buddhism and Hinduism are also said to use a lefthand path in the activity of Tantra.

Just a little trivia.............

©2010 Kimberly Padilla, A.A Religion

No comments:

Post a Comment